Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Book of Obeah by Sandra Carrington-Smith

Have you ever had the feeling that there was more to life then what you were experiencing. That there are more Universal truths then those we are trained from childhood to believe. Melody is soon to find herself on this very journey when her beloved GrandMama dies and leaves her legacy in the hands of her only granddaughter. Following the wishes of the woman who has been there for her for her entire life, Melody soon finds herself in very unfamiliar territory. It is all so familiar and yet so very different then she has ever known. Realizing how very little she really understood of her Grandmother, she finds herself the guardian of a secret that is beyond her imaginings. The problem is that there are powerful forces that both want the secret for the powers they might gain, and others that want to destroy it and any part of what it means. It is a story full of awakenings for Melody and the reader as well. It is also a story about power and its corruption and the destruction of greed. Melody encounters new freindships, danger and love. A story about the beginnings of Vodoo and its connection to spriritualism.  A powerful story of the unrelenting awakening of the soul and the different rational for the systems of personal beliefs.

This book was refreshing and very thought provoking. A different view on spiritual awakenings and set in a truely facinating story of  corruption, greed and family. The Author is very knowledgable in different areas of spiritulism, and has a very smooth fast paced story. This is not my usual type of reading material but I found I could not put it down. This is a book I would recommend to my family and friends. I also believe it would be great fodder for a book club review.

Rating 4/5
This Review is based off a book obtained from the author. I am not receiving any compensation and all opinions are my own based of my independent reading of this material.

3 comments:

Petula said...

Sounds pretty interesting. Great review. I don't recall if I ever thanked you for following my blog: Thank you! :-) I'm following you as well. Have a great weekend.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I found you via Book Hop.

I am now a follower. I hope you will stop by my blog. www.readerbuzz.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

I am stopping by via the hop! :) have a great weekend.

Rachel
And the plot thickens...