Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Last Unicorn By Peter S. Beagle

I did not feel like it would behoove me to talk about books and not at least represent my favorite book of all time, hence The Last Unicorn.

Unicorns are wonderful creatures and their nature is to live alone. Since Unicorns are immortal she did not track time the same as you are I. She  is very old and does not know it. One day two men ride through her forest and she hears them talking about the rumors of a Unicorn that once lived in this forest. One said his grandma had told him about it, and how as a young girl she had once seen it. He said of course she was crying, but then it seemed like she always cried about things that used to be. Because of the stillness in the forest the hunters decide to hunt else where for game but not before the Unicorn hears them say that there are no longer any Unicorns in the world.
Knowing that it can't be, she sets on a quest to find the rest of her race. She runs into danger and trouble along the way but meet up with a magician and tough spinster, who help her to find the last of her kind. None of them realize that this could take the last Unicorn into a trap and that the world could be without the joy and beauty of the last Unicorn. There is danger, sadness and beauty at every turn.

This book has become a classic and is a must for the believers at heart. If you were not a believer, the book will make you wonder, and it does cause you to yearn for that first sight of a Unicorn. Would we be able to recognise one or would we be more like the unbelievers and only see what we expect. This is a fabulous book for both young and old and I have not been without a copy since I first read it when it came out. This book is a fabulous read, and leaves you Yearning.......

Rating 5/5
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love love LOVE this book. :D

Danielle Zappavigna said...

wow i've never read this but i'm wondering if this was made into a children's film which i LOVED as a little girl? i'm off to go google and see if i can find a copy now!

Marcie said...

I found you on the hop and became your latest follower. I have not read this books, but I think I will add it to my TBR list. Thanks for the review!
-Marcie from To Read or Not To Read

Martha Eskuchen said...

Hmmm- I don't remember reading this but your review has me putting it on my TBR list. Thanks.